Unity -> Webgl

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Glenn Gunhouse Glenn Gunhouse 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Glenn Gunhouse Glenn Gunhouse 
    Participant

Hi, everyone.

I’ve managed to get one of my Unity models out to Webgl, though the result is far from perfect (some of the images are really degraded due to compression, for example). If you would try viewing this model on whatever device and browser you have handy, I’d appreciate hearing how it worked for you (if it did). Tip: if your browser offers you the option of hiding your cursor, you should do that. The model can be found here:

Webgl Painted Church

Profile photo of Hannah Scates Kettler Hannah Scates Kettler 
    Participant

Hey Glenn,

This is really cool! I am using Firefox (v.38.4.0) to view the model over a T3 internet connection. It’s a little jittery, but not unbearable. The model loaded in the browser after 5 – 10 seconds. Is it possible to show the high res imagery on your model? Or was that necessary for porting it to WebGL?

–Hannah

Profile photo of Glenn Gunhouse Glenn Gunhouse 
    Participant

Hi, Hannah,

Thanks for the note.

You wrote:
    >> It’s a little jittery, but not unbearable.

If it’s jittery, that is likely related to the power of your computer, and the quality of its graphics processor. On my machines, I don’t see jitter, but I do get tearing, as the computer fails to keep up with the frame rate.

>>Is it possible to show the high res imagery on your model? Or was that necessary for porting it to WebGL?

The low-resolution images are something I’ve only encountered in the WebGL export. Normally, the images I use as textures appear in the Unity games at the same resolution they had when I imported them into Unity. For some reason, when I export this model for WebGL, some images are compressed in a way that degrades them quite a lot. I’ve seen others complain that the file compression for WebGL can cause problems. I’ll let you know if I find I can do something to improve the image quality. If anyone else has an idea of what to try, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

By the way, the problem in this particular case is that the images of the frescoes on the walls are huge image files. The problem would not exist if they were small repeated patterns. I may just have to convert those wall-size fresco images into repeated single scenes, but that will look bad in its own way.

Glenn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?